Hauled the boat at Crowley’s in Chicago today. Damage to the fiberglass along the keel is not a big deal and the glass guys here will do a repair over the next few days.
The big shock came when I saw water seeping out around the drain plug fitting. When I grabbed it it came right out in my hand. I had been taking on some water since the grounding, but in manageable quantities – a few gallons a day. But if the fitting had dropped out when underway I would have had a 1″ hole. Making matters worse I don’t have access to the hole on the inside because there is a drip pan for the motor directly over it.
I did look at this when I hauled after the grounding, but not closely. The brass fitting had taken some damage from the grounding, and I guess the screws holding it in place loosened and dropped out along the way.
I’m feeling very lucky… Maybe my bilge pump could have kept up, but glad to not have found out :-). That’s a good argument for robust pump capacity.
We’re going to fill the hole. I wasn’t using the drain anyway.
I also found that the propeller tips sustained minor damage so will pull it off and send it out to be repaired and balanced.
I have a list of boat repairs and improvements that I’m working on while here. Current plan is to stay here until the first weekend of November then head downriver.